1652.224-70 Confidentiality of records.
As prescribed in 1624.104, the following clause shall be inserted in all FEHBP contracts:
Confidentiality of Records (JAN 1991)
(a) The Carrier shall use the personal data on employees and annuitants that is provided by agencies and OPM, including social security numbers, for only those routine uses stipulated for the data and published annually in the Federal Register as a part of OPM's notice of systems of records.
(b) The Carrier shall also hold all medical records, and information relating thereto, of Federal subscribers and family members confidential except as follows:
(1) As may be reasonably necessary for the administration of this contract;
(2) As authorized by the patient or his or her guardian;
(3) As disclosure is necessary to permit Government officials having authority to investigate and prosecute alleged civil or criminal actions;
(4) As necessary to audit the contract;
(5) As necessary to carry out the coordination of benefits provisions of this contract; and
(6) For bona fide medical research or educational purposes. Release of information for medical research or educational purposes shall be limited to aggregated information of a statistical nature that does not identify any individual by name, social security number, or any other identifier unique to an individual.
(c) If the carrier uses medical records for the administration of the contract, or for bona fide medical research or educational purposes, it shall so state in the plan's brochure.
(End of clause)