Subpart 217.73 - IDENTIFICATION OF SOURCES OF SUPPLY
This subpart implements 10 U.S.C. 4753. It contains policy and procedures for requiring contractors to identify the actual manufacturer of supplies furnished to DoD.
Contractors shall identify their sources of supply in contracts for supplies. Contractor identification of sources of supply enables solicitation, in subsequent acquisitions, of actual manufacturers or other suppliers of items. This enhances competition and potentially avoids payment of additional costs for no significant added value.
(a) Whenever practicable, include a requirement for contractor identification of sources of supply in all contracts for the delivery of supplies. The identification shall include—
(1) The item's actual manufacturer or producer, or all the contractor's sources for the item;
(2) The item's national stock number (if there is one);
(3) The item identification number used by—
(i) The actual manufacturer or producer of the item; or
(ii) Each of the contractor's sources for the item; and
(4) The source of any technical data delivered under the contract.
(b) The requirement in paragraph (a) of this section does not apply to contracts that are—
(1) For commercial products; or
(2) Valued at or below the simplified acquisition threshold.
217.7303 Solicitation provision.
(a) Use the provision at 252.217-7026, Identification of Sources of Supply, or one substantially the same, in all solicitations for supplies when the acquisition is being conducted under other than full and open competition, except when -
(1) Using FAR 6.302-5;
(2) The contracting officer already has the information required by the provision (e.g., the information was obtained under other acquisitions);
(3) The contract is for subsistence, clothing or textiles, fuels, or supplies purchased and used outside the United States;
(4) The contracting officer determines that it would not be practicable to require offerors/contractors to provide the information, e.g., nonrepetitive local purchases; or
(5) The contracting officer determines that the exception at 217.7302(b) applies to all items under the solicitation.
(b) If appropriate, use the provision at 252.217-7026, Identification of Sources of Supply, or one substantially the same, in service contracts requiring the delivery of supplies.